Sunday, January 24, 2010

House Buses and Vests: A month later

Alrighty, so you know the dealio with having limited internet time ever since I left my darling laptop (how I miss it, but how I cannot carry it) with an equally darling (two) friends... well, we're still in that dealio. It's like a canoe. Aaaand it's sinking. Don't judge me, I know that was terrible, I'm tired.

So I thought I'd make a list, because, hey, I owe y'all, and hey, I only really have about 10 minutes...

1. I've been getting really into vests. Wearing funky vests over t shirts, stuff like that. I credit this fashion faux pas to my dear friend Ximena from New York--she made vests sexy. So far, I think I just look like Annie Hall, but if I can't be sexy, I'll settle for quirky.

2. Where have I been? Oh you know... around. Apple Thinning (blech) while living out of a tent for two weeks, making not that much money and now currently burning through it like incense, down to Westport, met back up with Molly, down through Arthur's Pass (EFFING BEAUTIFUL) to Christchurch, then to this tiny little mostly french village (I know, you say to yourself, French? Yes French) at the corner of this inlet on the bluest of blue blue ocean bays I have EVER seen. "On an island in the blue bay..." The street names and places are in French, there are French people, and there is French food. I am currently working for accomodation (no, I'm not building my own bed, I'm just making other peoples) at this adorable pink (yes pink) backpackers called Chez La Mer (or, Sea House.) It's adorable. Tonight, because I am early, they don't have a bed for me till tomorrow, so I shall sleep majestically in.. a hammock. Yes please.

I am writing, and I am reading. Just finished (hey where did the list go?) The Time Traveler's Wife (pretty good, not earth shaking, but I still recommend it, especially if you like romance) and am now moving on to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm pumped.

My Momma is coming to visit soon, and I have planned the trip all out for her... The only thing I need is... a car. Which I am in the process of procurring. More on this soon. Hopefully. I want to get a cute roomy but little car, and paint Daisy Fay on the side, from the book Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg (author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe) because Daisy Fay was dammmn spunky. And so am I, sweet Alabamy.

Still haven't pierced my nose yet--but I'ma gonna. Molly, Cole and I met a really cool guy who showed us his... drum roll... house bus! So cool! I got to sleep in it! (He let us stay) And eat in it and everything. I listened to oldies music in the damn thing. It was rockinnnn. Dude. Now I know what I want for my birthday. Or Christmas 2011. Heya Santa....

Bought the movie Juno because I have been DYING to watch it, and I figured this hostel (like 95% of them) would have a dvd player and a tv... it doesn't. Well, the boss does, in her office. I better become her friend soon, I really want to watch Ellen Page say, "I'm on my hamburger phone." Marry me, Ellen.

After my Mom's visit I'm pretty sure I'll need to find some work. I'd really like to not work until March, and I'd like to travel around the south for the last two weeks of Feb, but it unless Mom is feeling particularly generous before she flies away, I will be rather broke as a bloke out of tokes (bad joke.) Hopefully I will have a car by then, but paying for gas will probably max out my credit card, which I now regard as an inevitability. But it's only 2,000 (very small in the big shadows of debt world) so I'm not too worried about paying it off... but I am, a bit. Eh, I'll make it all work. I'll get work as soon as possible, and then maybe travel some in March or April, even if it is cold (it'll be cold, ugh.) Then my plan is to still fly to Oz and Samoa or Fiji, then back, then home. But who knows?! Not I, sandfly.

Well, that's the sitch, Mario. This Luigi's gonna go make herself some dinner before she bundles up and gets cozy in the hammock--or perhaps they'll have a bed (they're waiting on some guy to show up and if he doesn't, yahtzee for me)--life is apparently a game of chance.

UPDATE: So, Karma must be mad at me. Yesterday, the money machine ate my credit card, so all plans to purchase a car have been put on hold. I had a bit of a freak out, but this morning, everything is coming up roses. Literally, since I got a job doing a bit of gardening.

Love you all to pieces,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment